I have been given the opportunity for the journey of a lifetime - to volunteer in orphanages of Southeast Asia. While traveling and volunteering in Nepal and Thailand, I hope to contribute significant research to the field of children's human rights. The children of these countries suffer unbearable realities of human rights violations through child labor, bonded slavery, and sexual exploitation. As work for my graduate thesis, I am researching the organizations that exist to return these unfortunate children to their childhood.

Monday, May 26, 2008

First week in Nepal!

I am overwhelmed with everything I have experienced already! It feels as if it's been months, but I've barely been here a week! I have no phone service, and the internet is very unreliable. Put that together with the government regulating power for only certain days of the week, and I am already feeling pretty lonely and isolated from the outside world. But, I am surrounded by sweet, caring people, and I am in a very safe home (AmaGhar orphanage). So, if you don't hear from me for a few weeks, don't worry, it's just the lack of modern conveniences, like power, a phone, and the internet! I could go on and on about the surprises of living in a developing country, both pleasant and not so pleasant :) I have tons of pictures to download, but I'm not sure if the internet service will last long enough! I want to split up blog entries with pictures and different events, so I'll give more details when I can! Miss you all!!!!!

2 comments:

Daria said...

We miss you so much but it sound like you are enjoying your experience of a lifetime. Your warm heart will touch many lives there. xoxo The Lambornes West Coast

Unknown said...

Hi Girl! I am sending warm wishes your way. I greatly understand your lonelines and separation with conveniences. It will take time to get used to but it is so worth it. I knwo you will enjoy it and bring smile to many little faces.
Love you!!!