I have been given the opportunity for the journey of a lifetime - to volunteer in orphanages of Southeast Asia. While traveling and volunteering in Nepal and Thailand, I hope to contribute significant research to the field of children's human rights. The children of these countries suffer unbearable realities of human rights violations through child labor, bonded slavery, and sexual exploitation. As work for my graduate thesis, I am researching the organizations that exist to return these unfortunate children to their childhood.

Thursday, August 7, 2008

Arrival in Thailand!!!

I've sadly left my family in AmaGhar and am now in Thailand. It is amazing to be at a beach resort, yet I can't help but miss Nepal :) I am staying with my friend Jennryn, so wonderful to see her! We are teaching english to the resort staff, and also working at a child development center for street children. I had such a great time yesterday getting to know the kids, playing Red Rover, running around in the dirt! And, to and from the development center, we took motorbike taxis!!!! A little frightening at first, but sooooo fun! The traffic is nowhere near comparable to Kathmandu, so it wasn't as scary as riding motorbikes in Nepal! I wish I had more time here! These two weeks are going to fly by....

1 comment:

Coley said...

Just finished reading all of your blogs... It's so great to read about your experiences; it helps me know what to expect when I arrive next week. It sounds like you had an amazing experience and I wish our time in Nepal had overlapped. Enjoy the rest of your travels in Thailand!
Namaste, Jacole