I have been given the opportunity for the journey of a lifetime - to volunteer in orphanages of Southeast Asia. While traveling and volunteering in Nepal and Thailand, I hope to contribute significant research to the field of children's human rights. The children of these countries suffer unbearable realities of human rights violations through child labor, bonded slavery, and sexual exploitation. As work for my graduate thesis, I am researching the organizations that exist to return these unfortunate children to their childhood.

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Bonjour!

Bonjour and namaste! I started French lessons last week, so I’m doing my best to go back and forth between languages! My tutor is wonderful, and very, very French, so she’s been incredibly helpful. Who knew I could find a French tutor in Nepal?!

Shrawan, the founder of AmaGhar, arrived last week! He is such an amazing man. The house has been full of visitors every day! I’m really grateful I have the opportunity to interview him. And, Bonnie Auntie is back home too!!! This Saturday is a huge event – the formal ground-breaking ceremony for the new AmaGhar. Once the construction begins, the children should have a bigger, newer home within the next year or so. About 500 people have been invited to this event! In true Nepali fashion, the planning has just started today, so I’m interested to see how everything comes together….

In a few weeks I will be leaving for an AMAZING journey…..I am going to visit the children’s villages during their holiday!! During the month of October is the Hindu holiday of Dussain. Every year for Dussain, the children go to their homes to visit any family they may have. Most of the children come from an area called Pyuthan, which is where I will be traveling. After an 18 HOUR bus ride, I will have the opportunity to experience the “real” Nepal – no running water or electricity, walking hours from village to village, homes made of mud, and further simplicities I can’t even imagine. I am so very honored that the children have asked me to come to their homes. This will be a great way to become even closer to my new brothers and sisters. I am already considered part of the AmaGhar family, but this will certainly set that in stone. The journey will be long, uncomfortable, and difficult, but I’m up for the challenge! The intrinsic rewards are so much greater than any risks I may face.

No comments: