I have been given the opportunity for the journey of a lifetime - to volunteer in orphanages of Southeast Asia. While traveling and volunteering in Nepal and Thailand, I hope to contribute significant research to the field of children's human rights. The children of these countries suffer unbearable realities of human rights violations through child labor, bonded slavery, and sexual exploitation. As work for my graduate thesis, I am researching the organizations that exist to return these unfortunate children to their childhood.

Sunday, September 14, 2008

The daily questions

I have lost track of the number of times I have been asked,” what is this auntie?” “sister, why do you have so many things for your face?” On a daily basis the children will pick up every single thing in sight and comment or question. I am fully aware that I am a walking CVS, and have enough medicines and beauty products to supply an army. But what I’m realizing now as I explain myself to the children is that I never use these things! “Then why do you have it if you don’t use it?” Why has it taken a five year old to make me understand that I have way too much crap and it is all a waste of money?!!

The un-comical side to all this is when the children say, “oh auntie/sister you are so rich!” “No, I’m not” I insist. But then I realize that in comparison I really am. This is the hard part of being so close to the children. I am so grateful that they are comfortable enough to come into my room (always asking first, “may I come in?”), share stories, and ask about my day. But, I don’t like them having the perception that I am rich. I haven't been employed for over a year, but they have no conception of credit cards and the pointless debt I carry around. This totally negates my feeling as being their sister, as part of the family. I’m hoping this feeling remains when I return to the states and fall into the trap of Target….roaming for hours and putting pointless things in the shopping cart.

I also had this experience in Thailand with the children of the orphanage. Because Jennryn and I took taxis to the site, we were seen as “others” because we had the wealth to pay for this service. We started having the taxis drop us off away from the orphanage so we could create the perception that we were walking there.

So now, back in that yucky feeling of being viewed as overprivileged, I think I’m going to have to keep all my “stuff” tucked away. It’s funny how in America I am accepted to be a poor, unemployed graduate student. But, here in Nepal, simply because I lug around what I feel are necessitites, I’m viewed as rich. Here at AmaGhar (and most of Nepal) shampoo is considered a luxury item which is too expensive to be used. A simple bar of soap does the trick for the entire body. I tried this for about a week, but never seemed to feel clean enough! So, a few times a week, I indulge myself with a bit of shampoo and conditioner!

2 comments:

Daria said...

Ah, but you are totally wrong. You are very rich in many ways:
You are rich in gratitude.
You are rich in kindness.
You are rich in love.
You are rich in compassion.
You are rich in humility.
You are rich in smarts.
You are rich in health.
You are rich in perseverance.
You are rich in beauty.
You are rich in bravery.
You are rich in many friends…and a fabulous sister-in-law.
And I could go on and on…

avion said...

Wow it's so true what you are saying. We all have way to much crap. I would love to send a care package to you or the kids. My kids have so much stuff. I can't handle how many toys some days. I am planning on a yard sale. But would love to send some stuff they need or just like. And for you as well. And I want Zoey to involved with giving too. They are young. So I have a ton of baby stuff if you can find as use for it let me know. I am going to send this to your myspace to. Send me a address I will get a package together. Take care. You are doing such a awsome thing that will change these children forever. Avion