I have been given the opportunity for the journey of a lifetime - to volunteer in orphanages of Southeast Asia. While traveling and volunteering in Nepal and Thailand, I hope to contribute significant research to the field of children's human rights. The children of these countries suffer unbearable realities of human rights violations through child labor, bonded slavery, and sexual exploitation. As work for my graduate thesis, I am researching the organizations that exist to return these unfortunate children to their childhood.

Friday, September 5, 2008

Home Sweet Home!!!

I'm back home at AmaGhar and couldn't be happier!!! From the minute I stepped in the doorway last week, I have been smothered with hugs and kisses from my brothers and sisters - I just can't get enough!!! I'm alternating nights of eating dinner with the boys and girls, and yep, always eating with my hands!

Already I have been a part of holiday celebrations. Last weekend was Father's Day, and all the AmaGhar children gave fruits, cards, and tikas (form of a blessing with red powder/liquid on the forehead) to their house fathers. It was so very sweet. I even made an attempt at giving my first tikas, and they of course ended up dripping into the poor men's eyes! I'll have to get a lesson on that later.

A few days later I was part of celebrating Teej (pronounced Tease), which is a holiday for all girls and women. The first step was getting fitted for the perfect bangle bracelets, my first ever! It was amazing to watch the girls choose their bracelets with such interest. After cutting my hand to pieces in the attempt to take the bangles on and off, I decided this will not be a normal occurance to wear them! I found out the hard way that the bangles are made of glass, not plastic!

The main celebration of Teej is around the temples of Durbar Square. I went into town with a few older girls, and two of the younger children. The beauty of all the red saris and glittering jewelry was stunning. I was fortunate to be dressed in Nepalese attire, so did my best to fit in. The women would gather in groups throughout the square to dance and sing, while drums pounded in the background. I was finally able to squeeze into a circle to get some pictures. One of the women grabbed my hand and pulled me into the dancing circle!!! Someone offered to hold my purse, the other took my camera and went crazy with taking pictures. I had no other option but to dance with the women, and pretend I knew what I was doing! The cheering got louder, and the crowd around us grew larger. Soon the woman who seemed to be of greatest importance wanted her turn with me! I didn't have a second to feel any embarrassment, but simply go with it! After every song I was pulled back up to dance :) It was such an indescribable feeling to be a part of such a special time with these women and their families.

I have pictures to post from this past week, and also from Thailand. But, with even more power limitations, my internet access is rare. Keep checking though!

No comments: