I have been given the opportunity for the journey of a lifetime - to volunteer in orphanages of Southeast Asia. While traveling and volunteering in Nepal and Thailand, I hope to contribute significant research to the field of children's human rights. The children of these countries suffer unbearable realities of human rights violations through child labor, bonded slavery, and sexual exploitation. As work for my graduate thesis, I am researching the organizations that exist to return these unfortunate children to their childhood.

Sunday, July 6, 2008

disappearing trash...

I have experienced the reality of the saying, "one man's garbage is another man's treasure," or however that goes. I put my empty cardboard boxes in a trash bin, with the rest of the garbage. Yesterday I saw my cereal box turned into a dollhouse!!! My cracker box was turned into a purse! I realized that the children go through the house trash for things that can be reused! Today one of the girls had my empty travel-size lotion bottle, to play with her dolls. Too sweet! So now, I put my cardboard boxes, and other reusable items, on a shelf near the trash basket, so the children don't have to go thru trash to find new toys :)

1 comment:

Aunt Jennifer said...

McKenzie, Your heart is as huge as your smile! I admire your courage as well as your willingness to become involved in such an endeavor. You are in my thoughts and prayers. xoxxooauntjennifer