I have been given the opportunity for the journey of a lifetime - to volunteer in orphanages of Southeast Asia. While traveling and volunteering in Nepal and Thailand, I hope to contribute significant research to the field of children's human rights. The children of these countries suffer unbearable realities of human rights violations through child labor, bonded slavery, and sexual exploitation. As work for my graduate thesis, I am researching the organizations that exist to return these unfortunate children to their childhood.

Saturday, July 12, 2008

a sad realization

I was chatting with Bonnie today about how much I want a goat, and how cute it is to see everyone around Nepal taking their goats for walks. I thought how funny it would be for me to get a goat in the states, and attempt taking my goat for a walk thru DC! Then Bonnie patted my leg and said, "oh my dear, they aren't taking their goats for walks, they aren't pets......" I looked at her for a moment and realized that the goats weren't being taken for leisurely walks, but for a trip to the butcher :(

No comments: