I have been given the opportunity for the journey of a lifetime - to volunteer in orphanages of Southeast Asia. While traveling and volunteering in Nepal and Thailand, I hope to contribute significant research to the field of children's human rights. The children of these countries suffer unbearable realities of human rights violations through child labor, bonded slavery, and sexual exploitation. As work for my graduate thesis, I am researching the organizations that exist to return these unfortunate children to their childhood.

Monday, July 21, 2008

Don't make me pull over!!!!

This morning on the micro, as I was making mental notes of amusing stories, I was transported back to thoughts of my childhood. There was an argument on the micro between the conductor and a passenger with a child on his lap. I couldn't understand what was going on (bit of a language barrier!), but I assumed the two were arguing about not paying for a child who doesn't use an actual seat. Suddenly, I felt as if I were on a family trip from my childhood. I smiled as I compared my arguing siblings, to the two men arguing with each other. At first I ignored the incident, but as the voices raised, so did the eyes of everyone on the micro. Then, the driver, chimed in. I could not understand how the driver heard anything, as the argument was on the back of the bus. It was as if my own parents had been transported to the front, having those "invisible eyes and ears" that always knew what was going on. I remembered how my parents would take turns saying, "Stop arguing! Don't make me stop this car and pull over!" And at that exact moment, the driver of the micro pulled over! I was waiting for the conductor to push the man out the door, but instead the rest of the bus chimed in to the argument. The passengers went from silent onlookers, to a competition as to whom could shout louder! I couldn't do anything but laugh at this moment. One man offered his own money for the arguing pair, but his hand was shoved aside. The driver shouted something that seemed very impressive, because after that point, the bus started moving again and nobody spoke a word. I was dying to ask someone what the argument was actually about, but I was afraid of making noise in the instantly silent bus :)

1 comment:

RML said...

Parental comment: Hmmmm. We did, didn't we?!