I have been given the opportunity for the journey of a lifetime - to volunteer in orphanages of Southeast Asia. While traveling and volunteering in Nepal and Thailand, I hope to contribute significant research to the field of children's human rights. The children of these countries suffer unbearable realities of human rights violations through child labor, bonded slavery, and sexual exploitation. As work for my graduate thesis, I am researching the organizations that exist to return these unfortunate children to their childhood.

Saturday, June 7, 2008

Great day in the field!!

Today was soooo much fun, beginning the process of planting rice! We worked on turning the soil, and I think next week will be the actual planting of the rice. I did quite a bit of hacking into the ground. I must say my hard labor skills are supreme :) The best part was when I got one foot stuck in the mud, the tool stuck in the ground, and when I tried to move I fell backward - full body into the mud!!! Everyone was laughing hysterically, including myself! At that point, I couldn't have gotten dirtier, so I had no qualms about mud fights!

Halfway through our day the monsoon rain started and it was POURING!!!! I did my best to climb the rocks and mud, and thankfully didn't fall at that time. My only injuries from today are blisters from the tools - a sign of my hard work :)

Not sure if any of the pictures from today will download, but if you see a picture in the Flickr box with mud and rain, that's from today!!!

1 comment:

Daria said...

What a great visual. And just think, people pay lots of money for mud wraps and you got one for free. xoxoDaria