I have been given the opportunity for the journey of a lifetime - to volunteer in orphanages of Southeast Asia. While traveling and volunteering in Nepal and Thailand, I hope to contribute significant research to the field of children's human rights. The children of these countries suffer unbearable realities of human rights violations through child labor, bonded slavery, and sexual exploitation. As work for my graduate thesis, I am researching the organizations that exist to return these unfortunate children to their childhood.

Monday, June 23, 2008

Transportation Strike

And the strike continues.....I think this is day six. With the strike also comes blockades, so if you have private transportation, it still is dangerous to drive. The first strike was from students, wanting a discount on public transportation after the fare increase. The second strike was from actual gas stations, locking down their facilities. Regardless of a strike, the petrol (gas) situation is always chaos. People wait in their cars and bikes for hours just to get gas. Lines are usually two rows deep. I keep trying to imagine what would happen in the States if there was a gas shortage or transportation strike - unthinkable!!!

For five of these six days, the children have also been out of school. Needless to say, we are all feeling an awful case of cabin fever!!! I hope to be going into the city tomorrow to teach, but I won't know until the morning if I can travel. I am beginning to understand why the Nepalese never plan in advance - there is too much uncertainty in their lives!

I posted more pictures today!

No comments: