I have been given the opportunity for the journey of a lifetime - to volunteer in orphanages of Southeast Asia. While traveling and volunteering in Nepal and Thailand, I hope to contribute significant research to the field of children's human rights. The children of these countries suffer unbearable realities of human rights violations through child labor, bonded slavery, and sexual exploitation. As work for my graduate thesis, I am researching the organizations that exist to return these unfortunate children to their childhood.

Thursday, June 26, 2008

reading groups

Everything has basically shut down because of the strikes, so the majority of my teaching has been at AmaGhar, rather than the school for the Little Sisters Fund, because I can't travel anywhere! I think I mentioned before that I have set up reading groups with all the children at AmaGhar. I'm also teaching computer programs, but the reading is more fun, and such a wonderful way to get to know the children individually. It's so exciting to see what books they will choose. Of course the pattern is that the boys read books related to football (soccer) or Spiderman, and the girls range between mystery and princesses. With the reading groups I am teaching better english as well as learning to read with punctuation in their voices.

When working on a word or sound, I laugh when I realize that not only are the children mimicking my voice, but my facial expressions as well! I have to remind them to copy the sound, not me! The hardest sounds are the combinaton of "sh" and "th." With the "th" combo I've taught them to stick their tongues thru their teeth to make the sound properly. "Stick your tongue out!" I repeat. I've been spit on (accidentally of course!) and shared a lot of laughter, but they are all working so hard. It warms my heart when those who are more advanced readers help their brothers and sisters, rather than make fun of them. There is so much love and respect between the children, which is such a large part of making AmaGhar feel like a real home. I am also part of the love and respect, and honestly feel as if I have been adopted by AmaGhar. The house mothers are so sweet and live to feed me until I am ready to burst. The children are full of endless questions, hugs, smiles, and laughter. And their voices are all so beautiful. They sing their prayers after dinner and even if I'm two floors down, and I can hear their sweet voices perfectly clear.

Yesterday afternoon I had also taken on the role of house doctor! Within two hours I bandaged SIX children in some way. I asked if they were purposely hurting themselves! I think it was just to get my trademark kiss on the forehead once the bandaging has been finished :) I asked Bonnie and she said it is very common for that many children to fall or trip, but they are coming to me for the attention and a new face. I don't mind one bit!!!

No comments: