I have been given the opportunity for the journey of a lifetime - to volunteer in orphanages of Southeast Asia. While traveling and volunteering in Nepal and Thailand, I hope to contribute significant research to the field of children's human rights. The children of these countries suffer unbearable realities of human rights violations through child labor, bonded slavery, and sexual exploitation. As work for my graduate thesis, I am researching the organizations that exist to return these unfortunate children to their childhood.

Friday, June 6, 2008

Sights of Nepal

I saw a few things today that I'm realizing are a normal part of life in Nepal. While riding on my bus I saw a demonstration of Tibetan monks and other protestors in front of the Chinese Embassay. I can't get over the sight of a monk being pulled by his arm down the street, and police vans crammed with shouting protestors.

Soon after, I saw a young boy carrying a refrigerator, yes a refrigerator, down the street! Studies have shown that the Nepalese porters have the most practical way of carrying heavy items, by strapping them to their heads in a certain way and letting the "package" rest on their back. I cannot believe the amount of weight these small people can carry!

A few hours later, back at AmaGhar, I created the drama for the evening when I saw my first gecko, crawling around my room! I thought it was a lizard and screamed! All the kids came running and were trying to chase it out the window. Bonnie came running too, thinking something was really wrong :) She said I should never fear a gecko because they eat the bugs I don't want in my room! I guess if I would have known that beforehand I wouldn't have been so scared!

Tomorrow I am learning how to plant rice! I'm sure there will be some hilarious pictures from that scene!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good Luck with the Rice!!

- John :)