I have been given the opportunity for the journey of a lifetime - to volunteer in orphanages of Southeast Asia. While traveling and volunteering in Nepal and Thailand, I hope to contribute significant research to the field of children's human rights. The children of these countries suffer unbearable realities of human rights violations through child labor, bonded slavery, and sexual exploitation. As work for my graduate thesis, I am researching the organizations that exist to return these unfortunate children to their childhood.

Thursday, June 19, 2008

Rainy Days....

Now that it is officially Monsoon season, the rainy days are endless. Also pretty common are the kids not having to go to school because of yet another transportation strike. Having the combination today of both a rainy day and all the kids having school canceled made for great fun, but so tiring :) Thank goodness our new volunteer, Adelaide, is now here, so she was a great help!

In addition to drum lessons and building lincoln log houses, I also had my normal routine of computer lessons and reading groups. These have been great ways to get to know the children individually!

New pictures from today and the past week!

1 comment:

Bob Kirchner said...

Hi!

I'm Pam Kirchner's dad, and am fascinated by your voyage and commitment to Children.

In 2001 I spent two weeks in Nepal and loved the country and its people. The oldest nation in the world, with the greatest mountain, but it seemed all outside forces wanted to pick on them!

Keep up the wonderful work you are doing, and I hope we will talk about our experiences in the future.

Bob Kirchner