I have been given the opportunity for the journey of a lifetime - to volunteer in orphanages of Southeast Asia. While traveling and volunteering in Nepal and Thailand, I hope to contribute significant research to the field of children's human rights. The children of these countries suffer unbearable realities of human rights violations through child labor, bonded slavery, and sexual exploitation. As work for my graduate thesis, I am researching the organizations that exist to return these unfortunate children to their childhood.

Thursday, June 12, 2008

thermometers....

I haven't been feeling well the past few days - sore throat, headache, body aches. I'm sure it's just from doing so much, and getting used to the air pollution - not that DC is any better though! I've been laying in bed resting and drinking lots of tea and water. Anyway, today one of the housemothers said my head felt hot and I should take my temperature. She went to a drawer, pulled a thermometer out, and walked away. I put it under my tongue and waited, but nothing happened, no change in the color. I walked to other room and asked why the thermometer wasn't working - everyone burst into fits of laughter. They said it was because I had a rectal thermometer in my mouth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was crying from laughing so hard!!! I was led into the medicine room and given another thermometer. Again, I put it under my tongue and there was no change. So, I went back and asked if I was using the right one this time. Again, more laughter! Come to find out that Nepalese don't put thermometers in their mouths, but in their armpits. I nearly vomited thinking about all the germs I had put into my mouth in a matter of minutes, but was grateful to not have a fever :)

2 comments:

Nancy said...

Kenz, today I learned that Argentines also put thermometers in their armpits! Haha. So weird to see that but I guess it makes sense. Hope you feel better! :-*

Pam and Anders said...

OH MY!! Hope you got your shots!